We've got two ways to do it: the CleanMyMac 3 way and the manual way.
How to Clear Cache Files with CleanMyMac 3
Instead of searching all over your Mac to find and remove user cache files yourself, you can clear user caches on a Mac using CleanMyMac 3. It makes removing cache files as easy as can be. To get rid of them with CleanMyMac 3:
- Download CleanMyMac 3 (free) and launch it.
- Select System Junk in the left menu.
- Hit Scan at the bottom of CleanMyMac 3.
- Then click Clean.
And you're done! If you’d like to remove only cache files and nothing else, click on Review Details before clicking Clean. Deselect everything but System Cache Files and User Cache Files, then click Clean. Cleaning your Mac has never been easier. Download CleanMyMac 3 to get yourself a faster, cleaner Mac — without worrying about cleaning the wrong thing.
How to Clear Cache Files on a Mac Manually
- Open a Finder window and select “Go to Folder” in the Go menu.
- Type in ~/Library/Caches and hit enter to proceed to this folder.
- Optional step: You can highlight and copy everything to a different folder just in case something goes wrong.
- Highlight everything and press Command-Backspace.
- Restart your machine so that your apps and system can generate new, fresh caches.
Repeat the same steps but substitute ~/Library/Caches with /Library/Caches (note the lack of the “~” symbol, which, in technical-jargon, acts as a shortcut path to your home folder). Also note: We recommend that you remove the insides of these folders, but not the folders themselves.
Make sure that once you have finished clearing out these caches for additional hard drive space, you empty out your Trash. To do this, control-click on the Trash icon in the dock and select “Empty Trash.” Restart your Mac afterward so your Mac can begin to create new, fresh cache files.
As you can see, cleaning up cache files with CleanMyMac 3 is so much easier than doing it yourself. And that’s not all it does! Check out all the other features of CleanMyMac 3 and see for yourself how simple cleaning your Mac can be. Download CleanMyMac 3 now and feel what a difference a clean Mac makes!
- How to clean out system log files?
- How to remove universal binaries on a Mac?
- How to delete unwanted language files from Mac OS X?
- How to clear log files on Mac OS X?
- How to delete preference files from a Mac?
- How to remove unknown login items in OS X?
- How to delete iOS software updates from a Mac?
- How to clear the iPhoto cache on a Mac?
- How to delete junk files on a Mac?
- How to clear cache on a Mac?