There are three types of caches you can clean on your Mac: user cache, system cache, and browser cache. This article will go over cleaning up all three.
Now, when it comes to clearing cache on Mac, there are two ways you can do it. You can clean them up manually, or you can clean them with a Mac utility like CleanMyMac 3. If you want to clear cache on Mac OS X right now, we suggest doing it the easy way:
- Download CleanMyMac 3
- Select System Junk
- Click "Scan"
- And then “Clean”
That’s it, cache files cleaned! However, if you’d like to clean them all manually, follow the steps below.
How to Clear Cache Files on a Mac Manually
To clear your user cache, browser cache, and system cache, do the following:
- Open a Finder window and select “Go to Folder” in the Go menu.
- Type in ~/Library/Caches and hit enter to proceed to this folder.
- Optional step: You can highlight and copy everything to a different folder just in case something goes wrong.
- Go into each of the folders and clean out everything.
Note: We recommend that you remove the insides of these folders, but not the folders themselves.
Now, repeat the same steps above, but substitute…
~/Library/Caches with… /Library/Caches
Make sure that once you have finished clearing out these caches for additional hard drive space, you empty out your Trash. To do this, Control-click on the Trash icon in the dock and select “Empty Trash.” Restart your Mac afterward so your Mac can begin to create new, fresh cache files.
How to Clear Cache Files on Mac the Easy Way — with CleanMyMac 3
Instead of searching all over your Mac to find and remove cache files yourself, you can clear user caches on a Mac using CleanMyMac 3. It makes removing cache files as easy as can be. To get rid of them with CleanMyMac 3:
- Download CleanMyMac 3 (free) and launch it.
- Select System Junk in the left menu.
- Hit Scan at the bottom of CleanMyMac 3.
- Then click Clean.
And you're done! If you’d like to remove only cache files and nothing else, click on Review Details before clicking Clean. Deselect everything but System Cache Files and User Cache Files, then click Clean. Cleaning your Mac has never been easier. Download CleanMyMac 3 to get yourself a faster, cleaner Mac — without worrying about cleaning the wrong thing.
- clear cache imac
- macbook pro clear cache
- delete cache ie
- clear safari cache
- how to clear cache on mac safari
- how to clear cache on mac chrome
- how to clear cache on mac firefox
- how to clear internet cache on mac
Articles to read next:
- How to clean out system log files?
- How to remove universal binaries on a Mac?
- How to delete unwanted language files from Mac OS X?
- How to clear log files on Mac OS X?
- How to delete preference files from a Mac?
- How to remove unknown login items in OS X?
- How to delete iOS software updates from a Mac?
- How to clear the iPhoto cache on a Mac?
- How to delete junk files on a Mac?
- How to clear cache on a Mac?