Technical puzzles come in all shapes and sizes and can be incredibly easy to sort out by yourself. We cannot hope to give you all the answers but will confidently provide a few pointers to solving the most common issues you can come up against.
Gemini 2 scan finishes instantaneously with an "All neat!" message but you're sure to have duplicates.
Solution 1: Check that Gemini 2 has all required permissions (macOS 10.15 and later)
- Open System Preferences > Security & Privacy settings.
- Navigate to the Privacy tab.
- Unlock the padlock in the lower-left corner with your user password or biometrics.
- Make sure that Gemini 2 is listed and enabled in these sections:
- Files and Folders
Solution 2: Make sure that your photo library is designated as a System one
Due to the limitations of the Photos app, Gemini 2 will not be able to scan your library if it's not designated as your System Photo Library. Hold down the Option key when you open Photos to check which library is set as the System Photo Library.
To designate another library:
- Quit the Photos app.
- Hold down the Option key and open Photos. One of the photo libraries is already designated as YourLibraryName (System Photo Library).
- Choose the library you want to designate as the System Photo Library.
- After Photos opens the library, choose Photos > Preferences in the menu bar.
- Click the General tab.
- Click Use as System Photo Library.
Gemini 2 doesn't find all duplicates from the library.
Solution 1: Change the scan settings
- Open Gemini 2 and choose Preferences.
- On the General tab, change the minimal file size to "None."
- Make sure the "Scan for similar files" checkbox is selected.
Solution 2: Check iCloud synchronization
Gemini 2 can only scan images available on your Mac, so please make sure your photos are available locally. To do so, follow these steps:
- Open the Photos app and choose Photos > Preferences in the menu bar.
- Click the iCloud tab and select “Download originals to this Mac.”
Solution 3: Make sure these photos are really duplicates
Albums in the Photos app do not contain files but rather links to the original images. Pictures located in multiple albums are not duplicates. That's why you can delete an album, but the photos within the album will not be deleted. They can be found by accessing your Photo Library.
If you still have questions regarding Gemini 2 troubleshooting, please contact our Customer Support. We’re always glad to help!