MacPaw has contracts with all Data Processors that it uses in compliance with the applicable data protection legislation, and ensures that all Data Processors are compliant with the applicable data protection legislation.
In addition, a separate agreement governs delivery, access and use of the Products (the “Terms of Service”).
Data Processor means a natural or legal person, public authority, agency or other body which processes personal data on behalf of MacPaw.
- CleanMyMac Classic, 2, 3
- CleanMyMac X
- Gemini 1, 2
- CleanMyDrive 2
- Gemini Photos
- Hider 2
- Encrypto for Windows
- The Unarchiver
- Support Tool
Relevant Data - Personal Data and Special Categories of Data are the Relevant Data covered by this Policy and as defined in the applicable data protection legislation.
Personal Data - any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person.
Special Categories of Data - Personal Data revealing racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade union membership, genetic data, biometric data and data concerning health or a person’s sex life or sexual orientation.
Processing/Processed - any operation on Personal Data, whether automated or not.
Other capitalised terms have the same meaning as in the applicable Terms of Service.
Information We Collect and Receive
When you interact with our Sites and Products, we collect Information that, alone or in combination with other data, could be used to identify you (Personal Data). Some of the Information we collect is stored in a manner that cannot be linked back to you (Non-Personal Data).
MacPaw may collect, generate and/or receive the following Information:
Certain data about the devices you use to connect with MacPaw and your use of the Site and/or Product are automatically logged in our systems, including:
- Сontact details, namely, email. This information might be needed to have an agreement with you, provide you with our services and communicate with you.
- Location information. This is the geographic area where you use your computer and mobile devices (as indicated by an Internet Protocol [IP] address or similar identifier) when interacting with our Site and/or Product. This information might be necessary to determine your general geographic location,applicable data protection legislation and provide you with customized, localized and personalized content.
- Log data. As with most websites and technology services delivered over the Internet, our servers automatically collect data when you access or use our Site and/or Product and record it in log files. This log data may include the IP address, browser type and settings, the date and time of use, information about browser configuration, language preferences, and cookie data. This information is needed to ensure security of our systems, prevent detect and investigate potentially prohibited or illegal activities, including fraud, and to enforce our Terms of Service..
- Product and Site Specific Data. This is information about the Site and/or Product you use and how you use them. We may also obtain data from our third-party partners and service providers to analyze how users use our Site and/or Product. For example, we will know how many users access a specific page on the Site and which links they clicked on. We use this aggregated information to better understand and optimize the Site.
- Device information. These are data from your computer or mobile device, such as the type of hardware and software you are using (for example, your operating system and browser type), as well as unique device identifiers for devices that are using MacPaw Product. This is needed to provide you with the best experience, ensure compatibility and update our Services.
Third Party Data
MacPaw may receive data about Site visitors, marketing campaigns and other matters related to our business from affiliates and subsidiaries, our partners or others that we use to make our own information better or more useful. This data may be combined with other information we collect and might include aggregate level data, such as which IP addresses correspond to zip codes or countries. Or it might be more specific: for example, how well an online marketing or email campaign performed.
Additional Information Provided to MacPaw
We also receive Personal Data when submitted to our Site or if you participate in a focus group, contest, activity or event, apply for a job, request support, interact with our social media accounts or otherwise communicate with MacPaw.
Our order process is conducted by third-party payment service providers as designated by us from time to time (“Payment Service Providers”). Payment Service Providers are the Merchants of Record for all our orders. Payment Service Providers provide all customer service inquiries and handle returns.
Payment Service Providers and us have a legitimate interest to use provided data for product fulfilment, order processing, fraud prevention, and product support.
Collection of Information from Children
Use of Your Information by MacPaw
We use, process, and store your information as necessary to perform our contract with you and for our legitimate business interests, in operating our Sites, Products, Services, and business including:
- To help us administer our Sites and/or Products, authenticate users for security purposes, provide personalized user features and access, process transactions, conduct research, develop new features, and improve the features, algorithms, and usability of our Sites and/or Products.
- As required by applicable law, legal process or regulation.
- to calculate aggregate statistics on the number of unique devices using our Sites and/or Products.
- To send emails and other communications. We may send you service, technical and other administrative emails, messages and other types of communications. We may also contact you to inform you about changes in our Products, our Products offerings, and important Products-related notices, such as security and fraud notices. These communications are considered part of the Products and you may not opt out of them. In addition, we sometimes send emails about new product features, promotional communications or other news about MacPaw. We will only send you marketing information if you provide the respective consent to us.
- For billing, account management and other administrative matters. MacPaw may need to contact you for invoicing, account management and similar reasons and we use account data to administer accounts and keep track of billing and payments.
- To investigate and help prevent security issues, fraud and abuse.
If information is aggregated or de-identified so it is no longer reasonably associated with an identified or identifiable natural person, MacPaw may use it for any business purpose.
How We Share And Disclose Information
We only disclose Personal Data to third parties when:
- We use service providers who assist us in meeting business operations needs, including hosting, delivering, and improving our Products. We also use service providers for specific services and functions, including email communication, customer support services, and analytics. These service providers may only access, process, or store Personal Data pursuant to our instructions, according to the applicable data protection legislation and to perform their duties to us.
- We have your explicit consent to share your Personal Data (if required).
- We believe it is necessary to investigate potential violations of the Terms of Products, to enforce those Terms of Products, or where we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, or potential threats against persons, property, or the systems on which we operate our Site and/or Products.
- We determine that the access, preservation, or disclosure of your Personal Data is required by law to protect the rights, property, or personal safety of MacPaw and users of our Site and/or Products, or to respond to lawful requests by public authorities, including national security or law enforcement requests.
- We may disclose Non-Personal Data publicly and to third parties – for example, in public reports about word usage, to partners under agreement with us, or as part of progress reports we may provide to users.
MacPaw does not share your Personal Data/personally identifiable information with third parties for the purpose of enabling them to deliver their advertisements to you.
MacPaw does not sell or rent your Personal Data.
Third Parties’ Applications and Products
Some third-party applications and services that work with us may ask for permission to access your information. Those applications will provide you with notice and request your consent in order to obtain such access or information. Please consider your selection of such applications and services, and your permissions, carefully.
Some third parties’ embedded content or plugins on our Sites and/or Products, such as Facebook “Like” buttons, may allow their operators to learn that you have visited the Sites, and they may combine this knowledge with other data they have collected about your visits to other websites or online services that can identify you.
Data collected by third parties through these apps and plugins is subject to each partу’s own policies. We encourage you to read those policies and understand how other companies use your data.
E-mailing by MacPaw
From time to time, we may want to contact you with information about product announcements, software updates, and special offers. We also may want to contact you with information about products and services from our business partners.
We only send marketing communications to you with your prior consent.
All MacPaw account holders will continue to receive transactional messages related to our Products, even if you unsubscribe from promotional emails.
Data Storage, Transfer, Retention, and Deletion
Data Storage and Transfers
Information submitted to MacPaw will be transferred to, processed, and stored in the Republic of Cyprus, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the United States of America and Ukraine. Data stored and processed by MacPaw may sometimes be moved between these zones (in a secure manner). When you use the Product on your computing device, user content you save will be stored locally on that device and synced with our servers. If you post or transfer any information to or through our Site and/or Product, you are agreeing to such information, including Personal Data and user content, being hosted and accessed in the Republic of Cyprus, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the United States of America and Ukraine.
Duration of Information Storage
As the general rule, we retain your Personal Data while you are a customer and will delete your Personal Data within 30 (thirty) calendar days of either party’s termination of the User Agreement or upon written request. You can remove your Personal Data from MacPaw at any time by emailing us with the respective request: [email protected] However, we may keep some of your Personal Data for as long as reasonably necessary for our legitimate business interests, including fraud detection and prevention and to comply with our legal obligations including tax, legal reporting, and auditing obligations.
When you give us Personal Data, we take steps to make sure that it’s treated securely.
Non-sensitive details (your email address etc.) are sent normally over the Internet, and this can never be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your Personal Data, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your information, we make our best effort to ensure its security on our systems.
We use industry-standard encryption to protect your data in transit. This is commonly referred to as transport layer security (“TLS”) or secure socket layer (“SSL”) technology.
Once we receive your data, we protect it on our servers using a combination of technical, physical, and logical security safeguards. The security of the data stored locally in any of our Products installed on your computing device requires that you make use of the security features of your device. We recommend that you take the appropriate steps to secure all computing devices that you use in connection with our Site and Product.
MacPaw takes the security of your data very seriously and works to protect your data from loss, misuse and unauthorised access or disclosure.
All breaches will be reported to the relevant supervisory authority within 72 hours, unless the data was anonymised or encrypted or if it has a particularly high risk.
If MacPaw learns of a security system breach, we may attempt to notify you and provide information on protective steps, if available, through the email address that you have provided to us or by posting a notice on the Site. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive such notices in writing.
Lawful Basis for Personal Data Processing
MacPaw uses, processes, and stores Personal Data, as necessary to perform our contract with you, and based on our legitimate interests in order to provide the services in connection with the Product and maintaining Product’s functionality, namely:
- Log data (crash data and other diagnostic reports; cleanup logs: files path and size, system libraries versions, scan/removal duration, device information) - for identifying and fixing defects in Product's functionality. Logs and entire reports are important to analyze user problems, application misfunctions and crashes. Data is mandatory and is frequently the main source, which helps to understand and resolve application issues.
- Device information: Operating System (OS) running on your device, Internet Protocol (IP) address, access times, browser type, and language, OS localization, CMM bundle IDs, CMM version, screen resolution, cid, battery info, RAM usage info, drive info, processor info, GPU info, disk info (type, total, free, backups), files metadata, applications preferences data, installed applications, network names and preferences
- Computer uptime in hours - to identify and localize user issues (bugs) and to understand and localize user problems, for the Product correct scanning and cleaning logic, Product functioning.
- We are collecting your data when you’re contacting our customer support team via call, email or another communication tool. The purpose of collecting is for helping you to solve any issue you have with our services. The legal basis of collecting is fulfillment of our contractual or pre-contractual obligations to you. Additionally, we may record the calls. The purpose of call recording is quality control of our customer support services and personnel training. The legal basis of call recording is our legitimate interests in retaining you as a customer and providing you with first-class customer support services.
We rely on your consent to process Personal Data:
- to send promotional emails,
- to place cookies on your devices, and
- for in-app analytics events and actions, used by us to understand user behaviour, analyze and optimize it.
In some cases, MacPaw may process Personal Data pursuant to legal obligation or to protect your vital interests or those of another person.
You have the following rights in respect to your Personal Data, including the right to access, correct, or delete Personal Data we process through your use of the Site and/or Product.
- Have your Personal Data corrected or deleted. You may ask us to correct information you think is inaccurate or completely delete all information that we hold about you by emailing: [email protected]
- Access your Personal Data report by submitting a request at [email protected] This report will include Personal Data we have about you, provided to you in a structured, commonly used, and portable format.
- Object to us processing your Personal Data. It is your right to lodge an objection to the processing of your personal data by emailing: [email protected] if you feel the “ground relating to your particular situation” apply. The only reasons we will be able to deny your request is if we can show compelling legitimate grounds for the processing, which override your interest, rights and freedoms, or the processing is for the establishment, exercise or defence of a legal claims.
- Ask us to stop using your Personal Data, including when we use your Personal Data to send you marketing emails. We only send marketing communications to you with your prior consent, and you may withdraw your consent at any time by clicking the “unsubscribe” link found within MacPaw emails and changing your contact preferences. Please note you will continue to receive transactional messages related to our Product, even if you unsubscribe from marketing emails.
- Complain to a regulator. If you’re based in the European Economic Area (EEA) and think that we haven’t complied with data protection laws, you have a right to lodge a complaint with your local supervisory authority.
- Request to know more details about the categories or specific pieces of Personal Data we collect (including how we use and disclose this information), to delete their Personal Data, to opt out of any “sales” that may be occurring, and to not be discriminated against for exercising these rights.
Data Protection Officer
To communicate with our Data Protection Officer, please email [email protected]