The new iPhone 12: Release date, price, and new features
When it comes to the iPhone lineup, Apple has historically announced and released new models in September. And despite some rumors of production delays, it looks like a new iPhone release is imminent this year. So, while we still don’t know all of the specifics of when Apple will choose to announce their new iPhone, we do know that it is likely to happen soon.
Keep reading to see some of the highlights and the things you need to know about Apple’s latest iteration of iPhones.
Is a new iPhone coming out in 2020?
Yes, it is. Apple has not made an official announcement just yet, but thanks to a series of reports, we know that there will be a new iPhone before the end of the year.
New iPhone’s release date
Since we don’t have an official announcement, we don’t have an official release date yet either. But we do know it’s likely to be later than usual. Meaning it’s safe to anticipate an October or early-November ship date for the new iPhones.
What’s new in the new iPhone 12?
In the past, when an iPhone has received only minor performance boosts, Apple has given the newer model an “S” name, such as iPhone 6s, 7s, or even Xs. But this new addition to the lineup is expected to have some significant upgrades, earning it the “iPhone 12” name.
Apple is also expected to update all four of their current iPhone models to the iPhone 12 moniker, with names including:
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 Max
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
The new iPhone’s rumored features
These four new models are expected to share substantial upgrades. When you pair that with the new features of iOS 14, there’s no doubt that these will be must-have devices.
- 5G connectivity: With most cellular carriers now supporting 5G, it’s not surprising to see iPhones finally getting the upgrade to support faster data speeds.
- OLED display: While both iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max currently have OLED, it’s expected that all four new models will have the improved screen this time around. This upgrade will be especially noticeable for iPhone SE and iPhone 11 users.
- Smaller front notch: The front notch is also getting about 30% smaller — hopefully, it is a little less intrusive and leaves more real estate for that stunning new screen.
- LiDAR Scanning: There have been some rumors of Apple adding a 3D camera, but it’s more likely that these new phones will have the LiDAR Scanner feature that’s currently available on the iPad Pro.
- Improved rear camera: We can always expect a couple of new camera upgrades. For iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Max, it’s safe to assume that both will now include a dual-camera system, while the iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max will get enhanced slow-motion recording, boosting them to 4K videos at 120 fps and 240 fps.
Will the new iPhone 12 have Touch ID?
Ever since Apple discontinued Touch ID, the feature that unlocks your iPhone with your fingerprint, many users have missed it. As a result, there have been rumors of Apple bringing Touch ID, or a similar feature, back. However, it's unlikely that the feature will be a part of the iPhone 12 lineup.
What will the latest iPhone model look like?
The new iPhone 12 lineup is expected to resemble the design of the most recent iPad Pro. It will have a glass front and back and a metal frame with squared edges.
There are rumors about what colors the phones will be available in. Some reports say the Pro and Pro Max models will be offered in a new navy blue color, while one iPhone 12 model will offer a wider variety that includes light blue, violet, and light orange.
As far as the size of the new phones, well, that will depend on the screen size. Below is a list of each model and its screen size:
- iPhone 12: 5.4 inches
- iPhone 12 Max: 6.1 inches
- iPhone 12 Pro: 6.1 inches
- iPhone 12 Pro Max: 6.7 inches
How much will the new iPhone cost?
There’s quite a bit of speculation regarding the price points of these phones. With the combination of the 5G antenna and OLED displays, these new models will require a larger, more expensive battery. But some rumors suggest that Apple is not improving the battery life on these new phones, meaning you’ll get the same battery performance on iPhone 12 as on iPhone 11. Others claim that Apple will not include accessories like wired headphones with each new device to help keep costs low.
Here’s a ballpark of what you can expect each model to cost:
- iPhone 12: $699–$749
- iPhone 12 Max: $799–$849
- iPhone 12 Pro: $1,049–$1,099
- iPhone 12 Pro Max: $1,149–$1,199
Even though there has been very little confirmed information about the new iPhones, there’s still plenty to be excited about. From new displays and cameras to upgraded batteries and wireless charging, things are definitely moving in the right direction for iPhone.