How to remove Trovi virus from Mac?
Browser hijackers come in a variety of forms and names. They all have one thing in common, however. They hijack the settings in Safari, Chrome, or Firefox and set your homepage to where ever they want you to go. In the case of Trovi, that’s the website www.trovi.com. From there, it intercepts web searches in order to collect data and display adverts.
Everything you need to know about the Trovi virus
Firstly, Trovi is not a virus, as it doesn’t self-replicate and copy itself from computer to computer. Instead, it comes bundled with other applications or tools you download from the web.
Once downloaded, Trovi installs itself and sets your browser homepage to trovi.com. If you land on that site, you’ll see that it’s a basic search engine. However, instead of displaying the highest-quality results for your search queries, it intercepts them, gathers data on you and your Mac, and then displays adverts. If you click on an advert, the cyber criminals behind Trovi get paid. And you land on a site that might also be infected with malware.
How to remove Trovi from your Mac
There are several steps to removing Trovi, including quitting the running process, removing the app, and restring the settings in all the browsers you use.
Step 1: Quit the process
- Launch Activity Monitor from Applications>Utilities.
- Locate the Trovi process in the list of processes on the left hand side and click on it.
- Press the Quit Process (looks like an ‘x’) button in the toolbar.
Step 2: Get rid of the app
- Go to your Applications folder and look for any applications that look suspicious or that you haven’t chosen to download.
- Drag them to the Trash and empty it.
Step 3: Change Safari’s settings
1. Launch Safari and click on the Safari menu, then choose Preferences.
2. Select the General tab and, next to Homepage, type the URL of the site you want to use as your homepage
3. Choose the Search tab and, if it doesn’t display your preferred search engine, change it to the one you want
Step 4: Remove Trovi from Chrome
- Launch Chrome.
- Press the More button at the right of the toolbar (it looks like three dots stacked on top of each other), and scroll down to Settings and click it. Alternatively, you can type or paste “chrome://settings” into the address bar.
- Scroll down to “On-startup” and check the box next to “Open a specific page or set of pages” and type or paste the URL of the page you want to use as your homepage.
- Look at the section just above that called “Search Engine” and make sure it’s set at your preferred search engine. If not, change it.
Remove Trovi from Firefox
- Click on the three horizontal lines to the right of the toolbar.
- Choose Preferences.
- In the window that opens, click on Home.
- Set “Homepage and new windows” to your preferred homepage.
- Choose Search in the sidebar.
- Set “Default Search Engine” to your favourite search engine.
How to remove Trovi virus with CleanMyMac X
If all that sounds like a lot of work with several steps, don’t worry. There is an easier way. CleanMyMac X has a Malware Removal utility that can detect Trovi, along with lots of other malware, and remove it with a couple of clicks. CleanMyMac’s malware database is updated regularly and it can scan your Mac for thousands of threats, including adware, spyware, viruses, worms, and more.
Here’s how to use it:
- Download and install CleanMyMac X, then launch it from your Applications folder.
- Choose Malware Removal in the left hand sidebar.
- Press Scan.
- When it’s finished, it will either give you a clean bill of health or tell you that there is malware on your Mac.
- Press Remove to get rid of the malware.
To avoid being attacked by Trovi, make sure that you only download applications you know are safe. Apple’s GateKeeper tool only allows you to download apps from developers Apple has approved. If it throws up a warning forcing you to visit System Preferences to manually allow an app to be downloaded, you should think very carefully and proceed only if you know the app is safe and not harbouring any nasty surprises in the form of Trovi or another piece of malware.
Fortunately, Trovi isn’t too difficult to remove. However, it is a lengthy process if you use several different browsers. Thankfully, there is an easier way. CleanMyMac X’s Malware Removal tool recognizes and can remove Trovi with a couple of clicks.