How to change the voice or accent of Siri on Mac
The voice of Siri is tailored with a wide range of accent options. In most cases, people stick with the default in-built voice for their country. In America, this is an American female voice. In the UK, for example, the voice is male and British.
Thanks to consistent upgrades Apple keeps making to Siri, it’s getting smarter and comes with a much wider range of accents and languages than it originally did. It can converse with you in multiple languages and in most cases, with male or female voice options. Changing these audio settings are pretty easy.
Here is how you change the Siri voice:
- Go to System Preferences in the Apple menu. You can also get to System Preferences through Spotlight Search or through Finder > Applications. It is one of the most commonly accessed areas of the settings within a macOS.
- Within Systems Preferences go to Siri
- Within Siri it shows you options for Language and Siri Voice. Within both drop-downs are a range of options. Pick the ones from those that you would prefer, and listen to what it sounds like before clicking to go ahead and use that audio preference.
- And there you go. It really is that simple. Exit System Preferences.
With this change made, you've managed to modify the voice and language Siri uses. If you want to change it, go back to System Preferences and adjust the Siri voice again. Any change can be reverted to how it was originally.
Anyone can change these settings in any country. However, every language may not be available in every country. That really is all there is to changing the Siri voice, which you can do whenever you want or if you’re bored hearing the voice you normally interact with.
Who is the real Siri?
Meet Susan Bennett, the voice of Siri. She is an American voice artist from Vermont and a former backup singer for Roy Orbison and Burt Bacharach.
Want an additional help?
The legendary Mac cleanup app, CleanMyMac X by MacPaw, introduced their version of Mac Assistant that is tailored to Mac tune-up. CleanMyMac X’s Assistant that suggests tips to speed up your Mac and what to delete. For example, it suggests to remove apps you rarely use.
I found that I can use CleanMyMac X Assistant tool to tell me about everything that happens on my Mac. It's like an assistant but it's solely focused on Mac maintenance. It also gives tips on how to speed up my Mac when it freezes or goes slow:
- Download CMMX here (get a free version here)
- Click on the circle icon in the top right corner to activate the Assistant
Well done. Now you have one more virtual Assistant on your Mac! It is a useful addition to any Mac computer. If you want, you can always disable Siri with CleanMyMac X.