How to make a photo collage on iPhone
Not sure which photo to post on Instagram, Facebook, or Snapchat? Instead of choosing a single photo, why not make a photo collage for added impact? Photo collages are a fun way to tell a story on social media, and they are incredibly easy to create by using photo collage apps on your iPhone.
Make a photo collage on iPhone with free tools
Instagram’s Layout is useful and intuitive, especially if you're planning to share your collage. Google Photos also has a simple collage maker. Both of these apps are free to download and use.
How to make a photo collage using Instagram’s Layout
Layout is a simple collage tool that anyone can use. Here's how to create a photo collage by using Layout by Instagram on your iPhone.
- Install and open the Layout app. The home screen will display the photos in your Photo Library. You can sort your photos by tapping Faces or Recents at the bottom of the screen.
- Select the photos that you want to add to your collage by tapping on them. A check mark will appear on the photos you have chosen.
- At the top of the screen, you’ll see different collage layouts you can choose from. Scroll through them and choose the one that will work with your photos.
- You can zoom in or out of each photo in your collage by pinching two fingers open or closed across the screen.
- A few menu options at the bottom allow you to rotate your photos, replace a photo, and add a border.
- When you're happy with your Layout collage, tap Save.
- At the bottom of the screen, you can choose where to upload your collage. Options include Instagram, Facebook, or Camera Roll.
How to combine photos in a collage using Google Photos
Google Photos has a similar collage maker that is perfect for quickly combining photos into a collage to share on social media. Here's how to use Google Photos on iPhone to create a collage.
- Install and open Google Photos. If you already use Google Photos, you will be able to see all of your photos in your Library. If you're new to Google Photos, you will have to allow access to your photos and add them to the Google Photos platform.
- At the bottom of your screen, tap Assistant.
- Tap Collage.
- Select 2-9 photos that you want to add to your photo collage.
- Tap Create.
- Google Photos will create a custom collage with a white border.
- Once your collage has been created, you can’t edit the layout of your photos without starting over. You can, however, apply filters to your collage or crop it using the edit or crop icons at the bottom of the screen.
- When you’re finished, tap Save.
Make a collage with a collage app for iPhone
Layout and Google Photos both provide easy-to-use interfaces that allow you to create collages quickly, but they don’t allow for much customization. If you want more control over how your collage looks — or some advanced features — you may need to use a dedicated photo collage app. Here are some instructions for using our favorite collage apps for iPhone, including:
- Pic Collage
- Adobe Spark
How to put pictures together using Pic Collage for iPhone
Pic Collage is a fun photo editor that lets you choose from hundreds of grid styles. Here’s a step-by-step guide.
- Install and open Pic Collage on your iPhone.
- Tap Grids and allow Pic Collage to access your photos.
- Choose the photos that you want to add to your collage, then tap the check mark in the upper right.
- Your photos will appear in a grid layout on the screen, but you can scroll through the options on the bottom to choose an option that works for you. You can also slide the border lines in any direction to change your layout.
- To move a photo within your grid, tap on it and then drag it to the new position.
- Use the slider below your collage to change the width of the border.
- Tap Background to change the color of your border or add a design to your border.
- When you’re finished, tap Done.
- Your collage photo will be created with a small Pic Collage watermark. From this screen, you can easily save your photo to your Camera Roll.
How to put photos side by side using Adobe Spark
Adobe Spark is a robust graphic design app, but it is also perfect for creating custom collages, especially if you want to add additional graphics or text overlays. Here's how to put photos together using Adobe Spark.
- Install and open Adobe Spark on your iPhone.
- Scroll through the menu bar at the top and tap Collages.
- You will see a list of templates to choose from. Most of these include text and graphics, but you can remove these later if you don’t need them.
- Once you choose a template, tap Replace to replace the stock photos with your own.
- Tap on the design element to delete or change anything that you don’t like. You can remove the text or edit it to meet your needs. You can also change the fonts and colors.
- When you're happy with your collage design, tap Done.
- Tap Share to save your image or share it on Facebook or Instagram.
How to combine photos into a collage using Canva
In addition to all kinds of great collage templates, Canva also allows you to choose from a variety of free stock images for your project. Here's how to use Canva to create a unique photo collage.
- Install and open Canva on your iPhone.
- Scroll through the templates under “Create a new design” and choose Photo Collage.
- Choose a design from the dozens of collage templates available.
- Once you have chosen a collage template, you can edit every aspect of the design by tapping on the photo. Change the font, colors, text, and photos until you're happy with your design.
- Tap Done when you're finished editing.
- Tap the up arrow in the upper right to save your photo to your Camera Roll or to share it on social media.
You can easily combine photos into one-of-a-kind collages that are perfect for sharing with friends and family, posting on social media, or printing. And if you'd like to give your collage a final touch, one of these photo filter apps will do the trick.