Two ways to remove Offers4U on Mac
Adware is one of the most widespread types of malware currently attacking users. These potentially unwanted applications (PUAs) sneak into computers bundling themselves with seemingly legitimate software. You may be completely unaware that one of such scammers found its way into your Mac. But suddenly you start noticing intrusive ads for shopping coupons and discounts.
Offers4U is among these malicious programs. In this article, I’ll give you tips and tricks on how to remove Offers4U from Mac and protect your browsers from this offender.
What you need to know about Offers4U
Looking like a reliable shopping helper, Offers4U is nothing more than a scammer that displays difficult to close sponsored ads. It quickly hijacks browsers and other applications that need an internet connection to function.
Whether you want them to or not, adverts appear abundantly on web pages you visit in the form of:
- Underlined keywords
The sole purpose of bogus adverts produced by Offers4U is to promote everything that can bring pay-per-click revenue to its creators. It might be other shady apps, fake software updates, or questionable products. Clicking on such pop-ups or hyperlinks may lead you to suspicious websites or trigger an installation of another PUA.
Speaking about privacy, Offers4U can steal your browser-related activity such as search queries, IP addresses, and browsing history. It does this by installing various components on your Mac, including browser extensions and launch agents.
How did Offers4U get into my computer?
Adware, like Offers4U, exploits a technique called bundling. Some programs, especially free ones, don't adequately disclose that other apps hide in their package. As a result, you may find PUAs installed on your computer without your knowledge.
To protect your Mac, be careful what you agree to download. Always opt for the custom installation and uncheck any optional installs you never wanted to get.
Avoid downloading anything from Torrent sites. Instead, stick to either the App Store or the original developer’s websites. Never ignore macOS warnings telling you that the software you’re trying to install comes from a suspicious source.
Has Offers4U already infected your system? No panic! Follow the steps below to eradicate it.
How to remove Offers4U on Mac manually
Step 1. Get rid of the malicious apps
First things first, you need to delete Offers4U and the host app. Here’s how to do that:
- Go to the Applications folder.
- Identify the apps that you recently installed or don’t remember downloading at all.
- Drag them to the Trash and empty it.
Step 2. Delete adware-related files
To eliminate all files and folders generated by Offers4U:
- Select Go to Folder from the Go menu in the Finder.
- Paste the following locations in the box and hit Go after each one:
- Trash any files and folders related to Offers4U. Also, look out for any suspicious files named similar to the program you’ve deleted in the first step.
- Empty the Trash.
Now, let’s check for malicious login items:
- Choose the Apple menu > System Preferences > Users & Groups.
- Click the Login Items tab.
- If you notice any login item that shouldn’t be there, select it and press the ‘−’ button.
Step 3. Deal with browser extensions
Finally, it’s time to check each browser you use for harmful extensions.
- Go to the Safari menu > Preferences.
- Choose the Extensions tab.
- Locate any extensions that look unfamiliar.
- If you find one, select it and hit Uninstall.
- Navigate to
chrome://extensions(paste this line to the address bar and press Enter).
- Hunt for extensions you haven’t installed yourself.
- Click Remove to delete it from the list.
- Launch Firefox and head over to
- Choose Extensions and look for a questionable one.
- If you find any, click the three-dot icon next to it and select Remove.
Seems like a lot of work? There is a much quicker and safer way.
How to get rid of Offers4U once and for all
To neutralize the threats, savvy Mac users prefer using anti-malware software. My all-time favorite is CleanMyMac X by MacPaw.
Previously known as a powerful junk-cleaner, it has a malware removal tool now. With its help, you can detect the parasite and all associated files automatically.
Here’s how to use it:
- Download CleanMyMac X — here’s a free trial version.
- Open the app and go to the Malware Removal tab in the sidebar.
- Hit Scan to search for malware and viruses.
- If anything is found, click Remove. Super simple!
Now, your Mac will run at peak performance again, without intrusive adverts, pop-ups, and banners. As good as new!
Offers4U is the adware that turns web browsing into a nightmare. It may also steal data from your computer, so it’s better to get rid of it ASAP. If removing malware manually takes too long, you can use tools like CleanMyMac X to help.