How to remove Search Marquis from Mac and restore your browsers
Search Marquis is an upgraded version of the Bing redirect virus. As a browser hijacker, it causes unwanted browser changes and endless redirects. Having it on your Mac is not only annoying but unsafe. Although Search Marquis won’t ruin your system, it may steal your personal data and open the door to more hazardous threats.
Cleaning the compromised computer of the malicious code might be a great challenge. Today, I’ll show you how to remove Search Marquis from Mac and protect your device from future attacks.
|Category||Browser hijacker, adware, PUP|
|Also known as|
|Symptoms||Unwanted ads and redirects to dubious websites, ad-supported search results, changed default browser settings, system slowdown|
Bundling, freeware installations, peer-to-peer file sharing, deceptive ads
|System damage||Hijacked browsers, data tracking|
|Removal||CleanMyMac X, Malwarebytes|
What is Marquis?
Search Marquis is a browser hijacker and potentially unwanted program (PUP) that pretends to be a useful extension. It claims to optimize your search and browsing experience. But instead of providing a flawless service, the app sneaks into your Mac and turns your browsing into a nightmare. Here’s how it works:
- Hijacks your browsers
- Installs malicious add-ons
- Shows suspicious pop-up ads, banners, and in-text links
- Redirects to potentially harmful websites
Once installed, the rogue tool modifies browser settings without your permission. It changes the homepage, search engine, and new tab page to its own website. As a result, you visit it repeatedly. Worst of all, you can’t undo the changes.
These pseudo-apps like Search Marquis tend to exploit the Bing search engine to look more legitimate. But before redirecting to Bing, they lead you through a bunch of questionable sites. This way, some folks over at China reroute traffic and generate revenue.
Search Marquis can considerably reduce system performance, overload the CPU, and freeze up your browser. On top of that, the crooks might collect browser-related data from your computer (IP address, search queries, browsing history, etc.)
Two ways to delete Search Marquis from your Mac
There are two ways to get rid of the browser hijacker: manual and automatic. If you have free time and energy to cope with system settings, start with manual removal. Be sure to move the instructions in the specific order.
Alternatively, you can fast forward to Step 4 to the automatic removal with CleanMyMac X.
How to delete Search Marquis in 4 steps
Step 1. Trash malicious applications
- Click the Go menu in the Finder and choose Utilities. Alternatively, hold the Shift-Command-U keyboard shortcut.
- Open Activity Monitor and quit any processes related to Search Marquis by pressing the Force Quit buttonin the toolbar.
- Head over to the Go menu > Applications (Shift-Command-A)
- Identify any recent apps you don’t remember installing.
- Drag them to the Trash.
Step 2. Check and remove suspicious login items
- Go to the Apple menu > System Preferences > Users & Groups.
- Choose the Login Items tab.
- If you notice anything that should be there, check the box next to it and click the ‘−’ button.
Step 3. Get rid of malware-related leftovers
- Go to the Go menu > Go to Folder (Shift-Command-G) to open up the Go to Folder window.
- Copy each of the following folder names and paste them into the search box. Hit Go after each one.
- Inspect each folder for the items with ‘search marquis ’ in their name.
- If you find any, trash them. Be especially careful as deleting system-forming files by mistake may lead to a system crash.
Step 4. Restore hijacked browsers
Finally, let’s bring your browser back to the default settings and remove any extensions that look out of place.
- Go to the Safari menu > Preferences.
- Choose the Extensions tab. Hunt for an extension associated with Search Marquis, select it, and press Uninstall.
- Return to the General tab. Type the preferred website in the Homepage field.
- Next, go to the Search tab and pick the search engine.
- Navigate to
chrome://extensions. Find a malware-related extension and click remove next to it.
- Now, switch to
- Choose On start-up in the sidebar to set your preferred start page.
- After that, go to the Search engine and pick the one you want to use.
- Head over to
about:addonsand select Extensions.
- If you see an extension you don’t recognize, click the three-dot icon next to it and choose Remove.
- Go to
about:preferences. Reset the homepage and search engine you want to use.
Looks like a lot of work? Even if you complete all these steps, some malicious elements could slip through the cracks. For accurate and hassle-free removal, scan your Mac with a reliable anti-malware tool.
Luckily, many apps can recognize Search Marquis today. CleanMyMac X — a tool by popular developer, MacPaw, can do the job with ease.
How to destroy Search Marquis with CleanMyMac X
This Mac cleaner app is, to its respect, notarized by Apple, so it’s a confirmed safe approach to try. CleanMyMac X eliminates any malicious elements and cleans up your Mac from various kinds of digital clutter. Here’s how its Malware Removal works:
- Download CleanMyMac X — get your copy here for free.
- Launch it and go to the Malware Removal tab.
- Press Scan to kickstart the detection process.
- Once done, hit Remove to delete the malware once and for all.
Now, check your browsers, or better, restart your Mac. There should not be any trace of Search Marquis on your Mac. If your browser still redirects you to dubious sites and shows multiple ads, consider resetting its default settings. CleanMyMac X saves you time and lets you fully reset your browser in a few clicks:
- Open CleanMyMac X and go to Uninstaller.
- Check the box next to Chrome or Firefox.
- Click the arrows to the right of Uninstall.
- Choose Reset and press the Reset button.
CleanMyMac X also offers real-time protection to check your system for threats in the background. You’ll instantly find out if it reveals any unusual activity. To set up the background scan and keep your computer protected:
- Go to your menu bar and click the CleanMyMac X icon.
- Сlick Turn On in the Protection section.
This will enable a real-time malware monitor.
For more insights, click the Protection monitor. Here, you can find out about the Background Scan and update your Malware Database to make sure CleanMyMac X catches the latest threats on your Mac.
Search Marquis is a browser hijacker that quickly takes control of your browsers. It redirects your homepage and default search engine to its own search page and displays intrusive ads. What’s worse, it might steal your data and share it with third parties.
Follow the steps above to get rid of the PUP and restore your browsers. If you’d rather do that automatically, turn to CleanMyMac X for help.