Citrix Receiver: How to uninstall it from your Mac
Citrix Receiver is a tool that can be installed on your Mac and allows you to connect to Citrix virtualization tools such as XenDesktop. It has now been superseded by Citrix Workspace. If you don’t need Citrix Receiver on your Mac anymore, you can safely delete it. The internet doesn’t provide enough information on how to uninstall Citrix Receiver from your Mac. So we decided to share our instructions to help you easily remove Citrix Receiver. Here, we’ll show you how to do just that.
What is Citrix Receiver?
It’s the local component of the Citrix suite of tools that allows you to run virtual desktops on your computer. With Citrix Receiver you can get remote desktop access to a certain server. It’s a useful way of running, say, Windows, without actually installing Windows, using Boot Camp or virtualization tools like Parallels Desktop and VMWare fusion.
Everything you do in Citrix Desktop is done on a server and so no files you create or add are saved on your Mac. This means you can log into your Citrix Workspace from any computer and use the same applications and files.
Do you need Citrix Receiver on your Mac?
Some companies require their employees to use Citrix Receiver to make sure the connection between the servers and computers is secure. If you want to connect to remote servers for personal purposes, you may also find Citrix Receiver useful. But, if you have had Citrix Receiver on your Mac for years and haven’t used it, you probably don’t need it. So, it’s better to uninstall the tool to avoid its files cluttering your Mac
How to uninstall Citrix Receiver (or Citrix Workspace) from your Mac
- Navigate to your Downloads folder and locate the installer package you downloaded when you first installed Citrix Receiver. If you no longer have it, you can download it again from the Citrix website.
- Double-click the package to extract it and mount the dmg file.
- Open the disk image and look for the uninstaller file. Double-click it to launch it.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- When you’re done, reboot your Mac.
In addition to running the uninstaller, Citrix advises that you may also need to manually remove some files. Here’s how to do that.
- Go to your Applications folder and check if Citrix Receiver.app is still there. If so, drag it to the Trash.
- In the Finder, click on the Go menu and choose Go to Folder.
- Type /Library in the box.
- Look for the following files and drag them to the Trash
- Go back to the Go menu and this time, type
/Users/Sharedin the box. Find the
/Citrix/ReceiverIntegration folder and drag it to the Trash.
- Now, navigate to /Library from the Go menu and locate the following files, then drag them to the Trash.
- Go to /Applications and drag any applications you added previously in Citrix Receiver to the Trash.
- Finally, go to /private/var/db/recipients and drag these two files to the Trash:
- Empty the Trash.
/Application Support/Citrix Receiver
We’re not done yet. One of Citrix’s most important features is Follow Me, a cloud data tool that allows you to log in on different devices and use the same workspace, with all your files intact as you left them last time you logged in. When you uninstall Citrix Receiver, you may also have to manually uninstall Follow Me data on your Mac.
How to remove Follow Me data from your Mac
- In the Go menu in the Finder, type
/Applications/Citrix/FollowMeDatato access the hidden folder. Drag the files inside it to the Trash.
- Next, drag these installation information files to the Trash.
- Go to /ShareFile and delete the files in the folder
- Finally, navigate to /private/var/db/receipts and get rid of these two files
- Empty the Trash.
Once you’ve done all of that, you should have removed all the files associated with Citrix Receiver. That’s quite a few steps.
If you’d rather do it the easy way, using CleanMyMac X, here’s how you do it.
- Download, install, and launch CleanMyMac X.
- Choose the Uninstaller tool in the sidebar.
- Locate Citrix Receiver in the list of apps in the main window.
- Check the box next to it.
- Press Uninstall.
That’s it! Citrix Receiver will now be uninstalled and all its associated files removed from your Mac.
Citrix Receiver is a popular tool for running virtual desktops on a Mac. However, it has now been superseded by Citrix Workspace. That’s one reason you might want to uninstall Receiver. You can do that manually, but as you can see above it’s a long process involving lots of files. CleanMyMac X can help you optimize the process and make sure there is no leftover data on your Mac.