Gemini 2 filters out not only identical files but also those that are slightly different from each other. They are called "similar files."
Duplicates vs. similars
Gemini analyzes items by comparing the exact lengths of the file data and a set of other parameters. When the app detects absolutely identical files, it puts them in the All Duplicates category and offers to remove them with Smart Cleanup.
If files slightly differ, Gemini puts them in the All Similars category and waits for your decision. They will stay on your Mac until you choose to remove them.
Types of similar files
This category includes application files, all kinds of images, and audio. For example, Gemini considers 2 photos "similar" if they were made with a 2-second delay where an object and background are the same. This way, you can easily free up much more space on your Mac while keeping all unique files.
How to quickly compare similar photos
To simplify the decision-making process, you can take advantage of Gemini's various selection filters and viewing options.
- Switch to the Grid View next to the search bar.
- Double-click the desired thumbnail to see the full set of similar files and compare them in a list. Next to each preview, you will see all the details.
- Click the magnifier icon next to the file path in the preview area to view it in Finder.
- Use filters next to the “similar” name to highlight data like file location, size, when it was last modified, etc. Filters will change according to how the files in a particular set differ.
- Click the Select Similars menu and choose the desired selection filter.
- Deselect All — Deselects all files of a certain group of duplicates.
- Automatically — Uses its smart algorithm to select files that are most likely unneeded: old, rarely used, etc.
- Newest — Selects duplicates with the most recent modification date.
- Oldest — Selects duplicates with the oldest modification date.
- Any — Keeps one random duplicate and selects all the others for removal.
- Manual — This filter state is applied if you select unneeded copies manually.
Disable scan for similars
To focus on duplicates search only and exclude similar files from the scanning process, you can temporarily change Gemini's preferences. Don’t forget to change them back once you’re done.
If you use the Duplicates Monitor, open it, click the gear icon in the lower-left corner and choose Preferences. Or, do the following:
- Open Gemini 2.
- Click the Gemini 2 app menu in the upper-left corner of the display and choose Preferences.
- On the General tab, deselect the "Similar files" checkbox.