How to remove Amarktflow.com adware from your Mac
Adware comes in lots of different forms from annoying pop-ups to adverts that completely take over your browser. Amarktflow is definitely one of the nastier types because it redirects your browser and leads you to a site promising you the chance to win an exciting prize. Of course, the whole thing is a scam.
What is Amarktflow?
It’s a type of adware that appears on Macs and Windows PCs, as well as mobile devices like smartphones and tablets. When your device is infected with this adware, it will redirect your web browser to display a page that invites you to enter a competition or prize draw to fill in a survey. The advert promises big prizes like a MacBook Pro or iPhone, or a gift card for a large sum of money.
However, there are no prizes. Buried in the small print, there are details that explain that when you provide your payment details, as you must, in order to take part, you will be charged a monthly fee. In other words, Amarktflow is a gift card scam. Of course, most people don’t read the small print and are so excited about possibly winning a prize they sign up and hand over their details.
How did Amarktflow get on my Mac?
Like other forms of malware, there are several different ways Amarktflow could have arrived on your Mac. It could be that you visited a website that had been hacked or was malicious, or it could have been bundled with apparently legitimate software you downloaded.
Or maybe you clicked on a pop-up that claimed you needed to update part of your system like Flash Player. However it arrived, the first sign that it’s there is when you notice your web-browser redirects to a page offering a prize, and you find it difficult to close the window or tab.
How can I prevent it from getting onto my device?
- Be vigilant. If your web browser warns you that a site you are about to visit is unsafe, don’t just go ahead and visit it. Take notice of the warning and be aware that the site could host malicious code.
- Don’t click on pop-ups. If you see pop-up adverts claiming that part of your system is out of date or needs to be repaired, ignore them. Close the tab or window and move on.
- Avoid downloading software from websites that insist you use their own proprietary download manager. These download managers can bundle unwanted software with the program you chose to download, and that bundled software could contain adware or other malware.
- Be wary of clicking on links in social media posts. Make sure they account posting them is trustworthy and hasn’t been hacked before you click on a link.
How to get rid of Amarktflow
Like any adware, getting rid of it isn’t too difficult. But it can be time-consuming, frustrating and stressful. However, there is an easier way. CleanMyMac X has a malware removal tool that can get rid of this and other malware on your Mac with just a couple of clicks. CleanMyMac X has been notarized by Apple which means it has been fully checked out and approved to run on your Mac.
Remove the application it arrived with
If you think Amarktflow was downloaded as part of a bundle from a free software site, remove the application you installed at that time. Go to your Applications folder, locate the app and drag it to the Trash. If there were any other applications installed at the same time, drag those to the Trash too.
Get rid of other files installed with the app
It wasn’t the app you chose to download that caused the problem with adware, it was other files installed with it, so now we need to get rid of those.
- In the Finder click the Go menu and choose Go to Folder.
- Paste this location into the box:
- Look through the launch agents in the folder for anything that has ‘amarktflow’ in its name.
- If you find any, put them in the Trash.
- Click the Go menu and repeat steps 2-4 for the following locations
Once you’ve dealt with the files in your Mac’s Library folders, you’ll need to remove all traces of adware from your browsers, too. CleanMyMac X has a Privacy module that can remove browsing history, cache files and lots more, too.
Here’s how to clear traces of your online activity with CleanMyMac X:
- Download the free version of CleanMyMac X and launch it.
- Go to the Privacy tab.
- Click Scan.
- Check the boxes next to items you want to remove and click Remove.
You also need to remove malicious extensions from your browser, to not let Amarktflow get on your Mac again.
In Safari, click the Safari menu and select Preferences. Here, go to the Extensions tab and select the extension you want to uninstall. Click Uninstall to remove it for good.
In Chrome, you can navigate directly to the list of installed extensions by typing this into the address bar: chrome://extensions.
In Firefox, click the three horizontal lines at the right of the address bar and choose Add-ons followed by Extensions.
Once you’ve completed all the steps above, you should have removed any trace of adware and should be able to browse the web uninterrupted by annoying pop-up windows.
Amarktflow is a nasty piece of adware that can hijack your browser on a Mac, Windows PC or mobile device. The pop-up adverts are difficult to close and will try and persuade you to take part in a prize draw or survey to win exciting prizes. Don’t ever respond to the pop-ups. Instead, follow the steps above to remove Amarktflow from your Mac. If you use CleanMyMac X, it’s very quick and easy, allowing you to get on with your day in no time at all.