The detailed manual to remove Rocket Tab from Mac
Using a device compromised by adware is a nightmare. Suddenly you notice intrusive ads bombarding you every minute. Someone also changed your browser settings without your permission. Whatever you do, nothing helps you get your browser back. That’s so annoying, right?
Rocket Tab is among these adware-type infections. It looks like a reliable add-on developed to enhance your browsing experience. In reality, it sneaks into computers using sneaky methods and hijacks browsers in a way hard to reset.
In this article, I’ll give you a detailed Rocket Tab removal guide and show how to keep your Mac safe.
|Potentially unwanted application, adware, browser hijacker
|Also known as
RocketTab, RocketTab powered by Advertise, Rocket Tab powered by xt-2, RocketTab powered by Counterflix, RocketTab powered by DNS Unlocker
|Plenty of misleading ads, including pop-ups, banners, and in-text links; changed browser settings
|Changes in browser settings, system slowdown
|CleanMyMac X anti-virus, Malwarebytes
Everything you need to know about Rocket Tab
What is Rocket Tab?
Rocket Tab is nothing more than adware and potentially unwanted application (PUA). Though the extension was introduced in 2015 as a legitimate tool for helping users better search the web, it’s considered malicious. Cybersecurity experts recommend getting rid of it right away.
The sole purpose of this parasite is to flood your browser’s screen with sponsored ads and trick you into clicking on them. Each unique click generates revenue for online criminals. These ads might also lead to shady websites used to spread viruses or steal personal data.
Primary symptoms of Rocket Tab
The culprit redirects your preferred homepage and all your search queries to its search engines. Some of them are:
Whether you want them to or not, bogus adverts appear abundantly as pop-ups, banners, and underlined keywords. Overloaded with aggressive ads, your browser glitches and runs slower than usual.
How did it sneak into my Mac?
Being a PUA, Rocket Tab infects computers using a deceptive distribution method called bundling. Some freeware doesn’t honestly disclose that other programs hide in its package. As a result, you may find adware installed without your knowledge.
To protect your Mac from threats, download nothing from peer-to-peer or Torrent websites. Instead, rely on reputable developer’s sites and the App Store. Pay special attention to what you agree to install. Always opt for the custom or advanced installation and uncheck any bonus apps you never wanted to get.
Why is Rocket Tab so dangerous?
Rocket Tab is not so harmful to macOS as viruses. Still, it brings some risks to your privacy. The extension gathers your browsing-related data, including visited sites and search queries. Though these details are handled for advertising only, there is also a risk of selling them to other third parties.
If Rocket Tab has already infected your system, follow the steps below to neutralize it.
How to remove Rocket Tab once for all
The best way to eliminate the hazard is to use an antimalware tool. What software will remove Rocket Tab from a Mac? The good options to try are Malwarebytes and CleanMyMac X. My favorite one is CleanMyMac X by MacPaw. Developed in 2008, it proved to be both a powerful junk cleaner and an accurate malware remover.
To destroy Rocket Tab and all malware-related components automatically:
- Download CleanMyMac X (free download here). Install and open it.
- Click the Malware Removal tab on the sidebar.
- Click Scan to let the app check your Mac for popular threats.
- Is anything found? Hit Remove to get rid of it. So simple!
Now, your computer will run at peak performance again. If you prefer dealing with malicious software by yourself, here are some steps to follow below.
How to get rid of Rocket Tab manually
Step 1. Trash the malicious apps
First, you need to delete Rocket Tab and the host app. Here’s how:
- Open the Applications folder.
- Spot any recently added apps you don’t remember installing at all.
- Drag them to the Trash. Then, go to the Trash and empty it.
Step 2. Delete malware-related files and folders
To remove all files associated with Rocket Tab:
- Open the Finder and press the Shift-Command-G keyboard shortcut to open a Go to Folder window.
- Paste the following locations in the box. Press Return after each one:
- Trash files and folders related to Rocket Tab. Empty the Trash.
Once done, let’s locate suspicious login items:
- Navigate to the Apple menu ().
- Go to System Settings > General.
- Choose the Login Items tab.
- See any login item that looks out of place? Pick it and click the ‘−’ button.
Step 3. Get your browsers back on track
Now, it’s time to deal with the harmful browser extensions to restore your browsers. Search for one of the following adware-related add-ons: Rocket Tab, YTD Toolbar by Spigot, DNS Unlocker, BrowserSafeGuard with RocketTab, or RocketTab Powered by xt-2.
- Open Safari and click the Safari menu.
- Choose Settings > Extensions.
- Look for a questionable extension you haven’t installed yourself.
- Click on it and click Uninstall.
- Open Chrome.
- Head over to chrome://extensions. Alternatively, you can click three dots at the top right (the menu icon), point to More Tools, and select Extensions.
- Hunt for any suspicious extensions.
- Click Remove.
- Open Firefox.
- Paste about:addons to the address bar and press Return to open the Add-ons Manager.
- Click the three-dot icon next to a malicious extension and choose Remove.
Seems like a lot of work? Here’s when CleanMyMac X saves the day again. The Extensions feature can do all these steps instead of you.
- Go to the Extensions tab.
- Select the browser in the left-side panel.
- Choose the extension you want to delete and hit Remove. That’s all!
Rocket Tab is the adware that completely ruins the browsing experience because of annoying ads and redirects. It may also steal your private data and bring more severe threats to your Mac. The best thing you can do is to get rid of it immediately. Use tools like CleanMyMac X to remove malware quickly and safely.