How to clean a MacBook screen and Mac accessories
Whatever model you’ve got - whether it’s a MacBook, Pro or Air - muck and dust will affect it the same way. Although it is always going to be cosmetic and external at first, there is always a risk that dust will get in the fan or ports and cause internal problems.
Keeping a Mac clean is the best way to ensure it keeps performing as well as possible and looks great at the same time.
How to clean your MacBook?
Before starting to clean it - which shouldn't take long but should be done carefully to ensure it stays clean - follow these steps:
- Shut the MacBook down and unplug the cable and any other plugged-in accessories (keyboards, etc.)
- Fetch a microfiber cloth or soft cloth that is clean and without lint (a second cloth might be useful if you want to dry your Mac after wiping it down)
- Now fetch either a spray bottle of distilled water, or a disinfectant wipe (no bleach), or spray, on that is specifically designed for computers and other devices.
Now that you've got all the necessary Macbook cleaner stuff, follow these steps:
- If you are only wiping down with water, lightly spray the microfiber cloth or other cloth that you are using with water
- Carefully wipe down the screen, keyboard and trackpad. Be careful not to use too much water or leave too much water residue around the keys and ports
- If you want to use a disinfectant wipe, wipe this carefully without leaving excess liquid on the screen, keys, ports and any accessories that are being cleaned at the same time
- Now go over the same area with a microfiber cloth that you've sprayed with distilled water (always better to use distilled to avoid minerals from tap water)
- After that, wipe the whole Mac and any accessories again with a dry microfiber cloth
- Make sure it’s fully dry before switching back on and powering up.
As mentioned above, when cleaning a Mac, care is definitely needed. We therefore recommend avoiding any of the following.
What avoid when cleaning a Mac:
- Using disinfectant wipes or sprays that include bleach
- Don't spray too much liquid on a cloth or spray water directly onto the Mac. Always clean up any excess liquid straight away
- Don't let water or any disinfectant sit or pool for long on any part of your Mac. Wipe up straight away
- Avoid using excess force when cleaning
- Avoid using cloths with lint or fluff that could get into open ports or stuck under keys
Cleaning a Mac isn't something you should need to do often. Only when it’s looking a bit mucky or every few months.
How to clean your Mac internally?
Internally, every Mac could benefit from some cleaning and tidying within its system. Here is one of the most effective ways of doing that.
Moreover, you can use Malware Removal tool to scan your Mac for viruses. Also, you can use Large & Old files report to find old files that you don't use.
CleanMyMac X makes it easier to get your Mac running as good as new. Every Mac experiences reduced performance over time. Improving the performance of a Mac is not as easy as cleaning it externally. macOS systems are complicated and hold onto a lot of clutter and junk that slows them down over time. With the right app, you can fix these long-term problems and restore your Mac to peak operating efficiency.