How to connect a PS4 controller to your Mac
Apple has been going big on gaming for a while, but the launch of Apple Arcade signaled that its focus on games is here to stay. It’s perhaps surprising, then, that Apple doesn’t make its own controller. Thankfully, it does support connecting great third-party controllers to your Mac, like the PlayStation 4 DualShock. Here’s how to connect the PS4 controller to your Mac.
Unpair the controller from your PlayStation 4
Before you connect your PS4 controller to your Mac, you'll need to unpair it from your PlayStation.
- Switch on your PlayStation 4.
- Go to Settings.
- Choose Bluetooth Devices.
- Click on DualShock 4.
- Choose Disconnect.
Your controller is now ready to be used with your Mac.
How to connect your PS 4 controller to your Mac via Bluetooth
- Press and hold on the PlayStation button and the Share button on the controller until it starts flashing. It’s now in pairing mode.
- In the Finder on the Mac, go to the Apple menu, and choose System Preferences.
- Click on the Bluetooth pane.
- When you see the name ‘wireless controller’ in the list of devices, click Connect next to it.
- The PS4 controller is now connected to your Mac
How to a PS4 controller to your Mac using USB
You’ll need a micro USB to USB-A cable for this, as well as a Mac that has a USB-A port.
- Plug the micro USB cable into the PS4 controller.
- Plug the other end into a USB-A port on your Mac.
- Press the PS button in the center of the controller to turn it on.
- Click on the Apple menu and choose About this Mac.
- Choose the System Report.
- Select USB in the left-hand column.
- If you see your controller listed in the main window, it’s successfully connected and ready for use.
Optimize your Mac for gaming
The whole point of connecting a PS 4 controller to your Mac is to allow you to play games. But, depending on which ones you play, games can chew up a ton of system resources, which means you’d better make sure your Mac is running as fast as it possibly can.
To speed up your Mac with CleanMyMac X, follow these steps.
- Download CleanMyMac X.
- Choose the Optimization module in the sidebar.
- Press View all items.
- Click on each section in the middle window to see the available options.
- Check the box next to any of the options you want to run.
- Press Perform.
To give your Mac an extra tune-up, check out the System Junk tab. It optimizes your Mac by getting rid of temporary files that can slow it down, ditching unnecessary application files, and resolving problems with broken installations.
Here’s how to speed up your Mac with CleanMyMac X.
- Launch CleanMyMac X from your Applications folder.
- Click on System Junk in the sidebar and press Scan.
- When it’s finished, press Clean or, if you want to see more details, click Review Details.
- Deselect any items you don’t want to remove by clicking the checkmark next to them.
- Press Clean.
The Mac is becoming a very good option for playing games, with the launch of Apple Arcade and the increasing number of great games in the App Store. Support for third party controllers like Sony’s PS4 Dual Shock controller makes playing those games even more fun. Before you follow the steps above to connect it, however, it’s worth giving your Mac a tune-up using CleanMyMac X to make sure it’s running at its optimum performance.