How to uninstall any browser from your PC
There are so many different web browsers available for Windows that most of us like to try a few out before deciding which one we like best. Some prefer Edge, while others like Chrome, for example. However, trying out multiple browsers means you end up with lots of browsers installed on your PC and taking up space. If you’re not going to use them, it makes sense to uninstall them. Even if you think you might use a browser in the future, it’s likely the version you have on your PC will be out of date very soon, and you’ll have to install a newer version when you decide to use it again. Before you proceed, you should make copies of any bookmarks you want to keep and any history you need.
Here’s how to uninstall the most popular browsers on Windows.
How to uninstall Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer fully disappeared from Windows 11 and will soon go out of support for certain versions of Windows 10. If you want to uninstall Internet Explorer on Windows 10 or an older Windows version, here's how to do it.
Using Apps & Features
- Click on the Windows icon at the bottom left of the screen to open the Start menu.
- Choose the cog icon to open Settings.
- Choose the Apps & Features setting on the upper left side of the window.
- To the right of that menu, under the Apps & Features heading, click Optional Features.
- You’ll see a list of currently installed optional features. Find Internet Explorer
- Press the Uninstall button. Wait for the progress bar to get to the end and Internet Explorer to disappear.
- Restart your PC.
Using Control Panels (Windows 7, 8)
In Windows 7 or 10, click on the start menu. In Windows 8, move your cursor to the top right of the screen and click the magnifying glass when it appears
- Go to the Control Panel.
- Click Programs.
- Choose View by Programs & Features if it’s not already selected.
- Click Turn Windows Features on or off.
- In the pop up window that appears, locate Internet Explorer.
- Uncheck the box next to it and press Yes.
- Wait for Internet Explorer to uninstall.
How to uninstall Chrome
- Close all open windows and tabs in Chrome and click the Windows Start menu.
- Choose Settings and find Apps.
- Under Apps & Features, locate Google Chrome and click it.
- Choose Uninstall.
- Make sure you check "Also delete your browsing data."
- Click Uninstall.
To uninstall Chrome in Windows 7 or 8, use the same process as uninstalling Internet Explorer using Control Panel, but under Programs & Features, choose Google Chrome. Remember to check "Also delete your browsing data." Then click Uninstall.
How to uninstall Microsoft Edge
Sadly, you can’t uninstall Microsoft’s Edge browser from Windows PC. You can, however, change the default browser to whatever you prefer, and unpin Edge from the taskbar.
To change the default browser:
- Click on the Start menu and choose Settings, then Apps.
- Click on the browser that’s shown under Web Browser.
- In the list that appears, choose the browser you want to open when you click on links in emails and documents.
- Click the ‘x’ to close settings.
To remove Edge from the taskbar, press the Start menu, right click the Edge icon, and choose Unpin from Start. You can also remove an Edge icon from the Desktop by right-clicking it and choosing Delete.
How to uninstall Opera
Before you start, make sure all your Opera browser windows and tabs are closed and export any bookmarks you want to keep.
- Click on Windows Start menu.
- Choose All Apps and locate Opera.
- Right-click on the Opera icon and choose Uninstall.
- In the window that opens, click on Opera and choose Uninstall.
- Wait for the Uninstaller window to open.
- If you want to delete your personal data, check the box labelled “Delete my Opera user data”.
- Press the Uninstall button.
You can also uninstall Opera using the same method as described for Chrome above. Whichever way you use to uninstall Opera, however, you may run into problems. Some users have reported that they are unable to uninstall Opera completely using the uninstaller or that it doesn’t work correctly.
How to uninstall Mozilla Firefox
You can uninstall Firefox using the same methods described above for Google Chrome and for Opera. Choose the method you prefer. Whichever method you choose, it will run the Mozilla uninstaller and you’ll have the option to delete your personal data when you uninstall.
How to Uninstall Any Browser with CleanMyPC
As you can see, uninstalling any web browser from your PC is quite a lengthy process. However, there is an easier way. CleanMyPC allows you to uninstall any app, including web browsers, at the click of a button. Here’s how to use it.
To start working with the program, please, Download CleanMyPC free here. Launch the app.
- In the left hand side bar, choose Multi Uninstaller.
- When the window opens, check the box next to the browser you want to remove, like Chrome, Opera, and Firefox. You may check several and uninstall them all at a time.
- Click the Uninstall button.
- Wait for the process to complete.
CleanMyPC will remove the apps and associated files like caches and toolbars, leaving no trace of the application behind.
While you can manually uninstall third-party web browsers, like Chrome and Opera, we recommend using CleanMyPC. It’s faster and easier because you can remove multiple apps at the same time. And it removes every trace of the app, leaving nothing behind. You can try CleanMyPC today by downloading it for free here. So, why not give it a go?