How to update the Safari web browser on your Mac
Safari is the default browser on macOS, and while it’s not the only browser you can use on your Mac, it’s by far the most popular. However, like most software, in order to keep it running correctly, you must update it whenever there is an update available. In this article, we’ll show you how to do that.
What is Safari?
A quick recap: Safari is the default browser on the Mac and has been for over a decade. While there are several other excellent browsers for Mac, like Chrome and Firefox, there are some very good reasons for using Safari. Here are a few:
- Apple is very focused on privacy, and this is evident in Safari, which blocks website trackers and hides your IP address.
- Safari connects to iCloud Keychain, allowing you to store passwords and credit card details that are filled in on websites.
- You can access your Safari history and open tabs from one Apple device on any other Apple device connected to your Apple ID.
- Safari’s Reader mode eliminates distractions and allows you to focus on the primary content on a page instead of ads and floating banners.
Why do you need to update Safari?
There are a few reasons why it’s important to keep Safari up to date.
- Security – Apple regularly patches macOS to deal with known security threats, and some of those patches include Safari updates.
- Stability – as macOS evolves, Safari needs to evolve with it. If you don’t update it, it might start to slow down or crash.
- New features – while most additions to Safari come along with significant macOS updates, keeping it up to date will help you always have access to the latest features.
How to update Safari
Safari is updated automatically alongside macOS. When there’s a macOS update, there’s usually a Safari update. So to update Safari, you need to upgrade to the latest version of macOS. Here’s how to do it.
- Go to Apple menu > System Preferences.
- Click on Software Update.
- If any updates are available, click Update Now to install them, or click More info to read more about the update.
- Your Mac will now update and may restart several times. Once it has updated, Safari will be up to date.
- If you want to keep Safari up to date, check the “Automatically keep my Mac up to date” box in Software Update.
How to update apps with CleanMyMac X
Remember we said that it is really easy to update all apps with CleanMyMac X? Here’s how you do it.
- Download CleanMyMac X.
- Install the app following on-screen instructions and launch it from your Applications folder.
- Choose Updater then View all updates.
- Check the box next to the apps you want to update.
- Press Update.
Now, all your applications are up-to-date.
Safari is Apple’s web browser for macOS and is widely used by all macOS users. Keeping it up to date is essential for your smooth browsing experience. Besides, new updates often come with new features. When the latest version of macOS is available, Safari is usually updated along with the OS itself. So, you won’t need to check for Safari updates.
If you want to update all apps at once, CleanMyMac X can help you out here. Make sure you use the latest versions of all your applications to eliminate bugs and enjoy the latest features!