How to delete Adobe Creative Cloud on Mac: an ultimate guide
Adobe Creative Cloud (CC) is a collection of 20+ desktop and mobile apps like Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Acrobat, Illustrator, and more. Although these tools are useful, you may need to uninstall the CC Suite. Dragging the app icon to the Trash is insufficient. But worry not, we’ll show you how to delete Creative Cloud from Mac effectively.
How to uninstall Adobe Creative Cloud in one click
If you want to remove CC, all Adobe-related apps, and leftovers with one shot, using a third-party uninstaller is a way to go. The excellent option is CleanMyMac X, which is a feature-packed tool with a user-friendly interface. It also works flawlessly as a junk cleaner, malware remover, and system optimizer.
Here’s how to force uninstall Adobe Creative Cloud with its help:
- Grab your copy of CleanMyMac X (here’s a link to download it for free).
- Install and open it.
- Navigate to the Uninstaller tab.
- Check all CC-related apps and click Uninstall.
Congrats! Now, you’ve deleted Adobe Creative Cloud and its components for good.
If your reason for uninstalling is that CC’s causing issues for your Mac, you can try to reset it. Resetting means that you get all the app’s preferences and settings back to their default condition. You force it to start again as it had just been downloaded.
Here’s when Uninstaller from CleanMyMac X comes in handy again. Select the Creative Cloud in the list of apps and choose Reset instead of Uninstall in the drop-down menu. Hit the Reset button. That’s all!
How to remove Adobe Creative Cloud from Mac manually
First, you need to quit Adobe CC and all related processes. To do this:
- Go to the Applications folder > Utilities > Activity Monitor. You can also open Activity Monitor using Spotlight.
- Search for any processes associated with the Creative Cloud.
- Select them and hit the Force Quit button.
- Click Quit in the pop-up window to confirm the action.
Next, remove all CC-related apps (Photoshop, Lightroom, InDesign, Illustrator, etc.) from your system. Otherwise, you won’t be able to uninstall the Creative Cloud desktop app. So, to avoid seeing this warning:
… follow these steps:
- Open the Adobe Creative Cloud app.
- Go to the App tab and search for apps installed on your Mac.
- Click the More Actions icon next to the app you want to uninstall.
- Select Uninstall.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Now, you’re ready to get rid of the desktop app. To eliminate all CC components, Adobe recommends uninstalling it with a special uninstaller. Here’s how to use it:
- Go to Applications > Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Open the Creative Cloud Uninstaller.
- Enter your administrative password when required and click OK.
- Hit Uninstall to kickstart the process.
- Click Close when the confirmation message appears. Done!
Can’t find the Creative Cloud Uninstaller on your Mac? Receiving error alerts when deleting the app with its help? The solution is to download the latest version of the CC uninstallation tool on helpx.adobe.com.
Once you download the ZIP file, extract it and open the uninstaller.
Depending on your security settings, you may receive an alert asking, “Are you sure you want to open it?”.
Click Open to continue. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
Finally, you need to get rid of CC leftovers. The problem is that the dedicated Adobe tool doesn’t actually remove all traces of the app from your Mac. Some components may still hide behind your system files and folders. To find and trash the remains:
- Select Go to Folder from the Go menu in the Finder.
- Paste ~/Library into the box that appears and hit Go.
- Look for any Adobe-related files in the folder and trash them.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the following locations:
Once you’ve finished cleaning out the system folders, empty the Trash to complete the uninstallation. Now, Adobe CC should be fully removed.
Deleting or resetting Adobe Creative Cloud is a piece of cake, especially if you have tools like CleanMyMac X at hand. But if you want to cope with this task manually, follow the steps above.