How to download Netflix shows on Mac
What’s a perfect way to pass the time during long car rides or plane trips? Watching movies or TV shows is always a good idea. With Netflix, downloading your favorite ones on iOS or Windows devices is a piece of cake. But it works less straightforward on macOS.
So how to download from Netflix on Mac? In this article, we’ll show you a few legal workarounds. You can use these methods with no risk of your subscription termination as none of them violate Netflix’s terms and conditions.
Can you download Netflix shows on Mac?
Netflix is one of the biggest streaming services, but it still has no app for macOS. Luckily, it’s optimized for the most popular browsers. So if you’re a Mac user with a Netflix subscription, you can watch a new season of Stranger Things right in your Chrome, Safari, Opera, or Firefox browser.
Keep away from ads promise to help you install the Netflix app on your Mac. Cybercriminals often exploit this trap to infect computers with malware. If you downloaded such software before, your Mac might be affected by viruses.
Don’t download from pirate sites
Netflix shows are a sweet spot for pirates. You can find many Chinese sites that illegally distribute Netflix content and spice it with ads and malware.
If you don’t believe, just Google your favorite show and the Chinese equivalent for “watch online” from Google Translate.
If you ever go down this route (which is illegal), make sure your Mac some layer of protection.
Our favorite is CleanMyMac X by MacPaw, as it’s empowered with the Malware removal feature. That means it can detect and destroy Mac-specific threats once and for all. And this app is notarized by Apple.
Here’s how to deal with potential malware using CleanMyMac X:
- Download CleanMyMac X free version — here’s the direct link.
- Launch it and select the Malware removal module in the sidebar.
- Hit Scan and wait for a few seconds.
- If CleanMyMac X finds anything suspicious, it’ll let you know. But no reason to panic, as you can remove any hazard with one more click.
So, can you download Netflix movies on Mac via the browser-based version? Unfortunately, there’s no way to do that yet. But the Netflix app for iPhone, iPad, and Windows comes with the Download button. Let’s see how to create a cinematic experience on your Mac computer with its help.
How to watch Netflix offline on Mac via Screen Mirroring
The bad news is Netflix won’t play on Mac by Airplay anymore for some technical limitations. That means no chance to stream Netflix content directly to your AirPlay-compatible computer. Still, you can share downloaded movies and shows using Screen Mirroring. Both the iPhone and iPad will do the job.
First, download the Netflix app from AppStore and sign in to your account. Find the movie or TV show you want to download, select it, and tap the Download icon.
From there, make Screen Mirroring work with Netflix using Quick Player:
- Connect your device to a computer via the USB cable.
- Launch Quick Player on your Mac from the Application folder.
- Click on the File menu and choose New Movie Recording.
- Go to the drop-down menu next to the red recording button.
- Select your device’s name from the Camera and Microphone lists.
- Go to the Netflix app and choose the content you want to play. Enjoy the show on the bigger screen!
Although this is the easiest method to mirror iOS screen to Mac, it’s not wireless. If you have no cable at hand, screen-mirroring tools might help. All you need to do is to:
- Make sure you have good internet and connect both devices to one WiFi network.
- Open the app on your computer.
- Go to Control Center on your iOS device and click on Screen Mirroring.
- Select your Mac’s name from the list. Now when your iOS screen appears on your Mac, go to the Netflix app and start the show.
Opt only for reliable third-party software to keep your computer free from viruses. To be on the safe side, I enabled real-time protection in CleanMyMac X. It scans my Mac on the background and lets me know if something suspicious occurs.
How to download movies from Netflix on Mac with Boot Camp
If you have no iOS devices, installing Windows on your Mac is the way to go. Here is when Boot Camp Assistant comes in handy. It helps set Windows on Mac and switches between two operating systems with ease.
What you need to install Windows on Mac
- The latest macOS update
- At least 64 GB of free storage space on a startup disk. Apple recommends having 128 GB for a better experience
- A 64-bit copy of Windows 10 disk image (ISO file) — head over to the Microsoft Software Download page to get it
- An external USB flash drive with 16 GB or more, unless you’re using a Mac that doesn’t need a flash drive to install Windows
How to install Windows 10 on Mac
- Go to Folder > Applications > Utilities.
- Launch Boot Camp Assistant and click Continue.
- Tab the Choose button. Select the ISO file and click Open.
- Set the Boot Camp partition size. Note that you can’t modify it later. Once you’re ready, click Install.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to install Windows. If the installer asks where to place your Windows copy, select the Boot Camp partition and click Format.
After installation, your Mac will reboot into the Windows 10 setup and open Boot Camp Assistant. Follow the instructions to download and install the required Windows drivers. Once done, click Finish to restart your computer. It’ll load back into Windows.
Grab your copy of the Netflix app from Microsoft Store and sign in to your account. Since Netflix supports downloading TV shows and movies on Windows, you’ll have no trouble watching them later when you can’t be online.
Download Netflix shows on Mac using Android emulator
macOS platform remains isolated in many ways. At the same time, Android apps are more versatile when it comes to Netflix streaming and downloads.
As a workaround, you can run an Android emulator, for example Blue Stacks, so you can install Netflix on your Mac.
Since downloading entire seasons requires disk space, make sure you also got a quick eraser for unwanted files. To quickly free up space taken by media junk and system junk, download CleanMyMac X – it’s the best disk space manager for the Mac. With Blue Stacks and CleanMyMac X at hand, you’ll be fully equipped for the job.
Hope these tips will help you enjoy Netflix movies offline on your Mac whenever you want.